GP prep: Sleep
A combination of a smaller bladder, spasms and a bulldog that snores so loud the house vibrates makes the land of nod an increasingly difficult place to find solace, but find it we must.
Sleep quality is linked to; productivity, depression, obesity, heart disease, diabetes, inflammation, athletic performance, you name it, sleep effects it.
On the rare occasion I have an absolute belter of a nights sleep I literally feel like a different person the next day, which just emphasises how average my sleep is usually. I’ve tried a lot over the last couple of years to improve it and I’m pleased to say that although far from perfect there has been a couple of breakthroughs recently.
So here’s what I’ve been doing for a while:
- Dark/cold room.
- Screens off an hour before (still needs work).
- Going to bed tired. (Active during the day)
- Brain dump, planning to do list for the next day to clear head.
- Carbohydrates 2-3 hours before bed (releases tryptophan and serotonin, two brain chemicals involved in sleep).
- Oura ring: An incredible piece of wearable tech that can tell you everything about your sleep and recovery by monitoring your heart rate, HR variability and body temperature. This has genuinely been a revelation. Sometimes I would wake up in the morning after having 10 hours in bed, still feel knackered and wonder why. Now I can see it was because I was waking up 10-15 times a night. Getting to sleep wasn’t a problem, staying asleep was. The ring allows me to make tweaks to my routine and supplements whilst seeing genuine results, it also keeps sleep at the forefront of my mind, reminding me to stick to the processes before bed.
- CBD Oil: Out of all the supplements I have tried this has been by far the best for sleep. I originally got it to help inflammation, which it does, but found that the real benefits were in helping me sleep. There still isn’t much research into why but not bothered by the science on this one, the proof is in the pudding.
If all else fails I’ve got a few boring mates I can call.
P.s. These CBD bottles are a bit big…..